Friday, October 10, 2008

"Never Special," Costume Concerns, pt. 7, 322 words

Feeling a little disheartened at his evaluation, and realizing he's right, I say, "Yeah... Yeah, I guess you're right. I'll just, uh..."

"Hey now," he interrupts, "don't go abandoning it just on my say-so. You picked it yourself, and that's more important than the best name from someone else. A name you choose is who you are, even more so than the name your mother or father gave you at birth. You may not be Shatterforce yet, miss, but you could be if you wanted to be. That's what matters.

"'Sides, you can change it later if you decide you don't like it. It's not like we're sewing a big red S on your chest."

I smile faintly and shrug, bemused by the idea. It’s not like I’d be the first hero to get a costume with some lettered symbol like that, but it’s definitely not for me. What do you do if you decide the name is rubbish? Get a new costume, too? No. If you’re going to go the costumed hero route, better to find a costume that fits your powers than one that fits a name.

“I’ve got some ideas,” he says. “Nothing premade, I don’t think. How soon do you need it?”

“Uh, I was going to wear it tonight, and…”

“Tonight? That eager to get out there? Sure it can’t wait a couple days?”

I shake my head. “I agreed to…” Oh boy. That sounds stupid. I agreed to meet a villain tonight? Geez, he’ll think I’m treating heroing like a way to get dates, if I prearrange my confrontations. I sigh inwardly and cover up with the first thing I can think of:

“I know this guy, this… villain is going to be somewhere at a specific time, and I’m pretty sure I’m the only one who knows. I’m going to go there to confront him.” Okay, not a lie, but not the whole truth, either.

No comments: