Saturday, December 19, 2009

Plotting (and sanity) Break

Yep, time for another one of these. I know broadly where the story's going, but somewhere in between "overall plot" and "daily writing," I'm getting kind of muddled. When it gets to the point that I'm up past 5am still trying to get my writing done (I write the evening before it goes up, like most webcomickers, but sometimes have to do it in the wee hours of the morning), it's probably a safe bet that I'm screwed for the day -- and possibly for the next few days, until I figure out whatever's getting in the way of my story. Add in some other positive but definitely serious changes in my life at the moment, and looking at some more before too long, means I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.

Writing is the first thing getting a break because one of the other biggest time-consumers in my life has already been cut (socializing with friends, most of whom are gone thanks to winter break). I'm also dead serious about doing this story right, so the idea of floundering blindly through a couple fairly important scenes is currently quite anathema to me.

So, I'm going to be taking a day or several off. Hopefully not too many, because I really do want to move forward with this story. But I do need some time to recharge and get in the right headspace. I know that Frank Herbert is quoted as saying how he could never tell the difference between writing done in a flight of inspiration and writing done just to get the writing done, but I'm not Frank Herbert. I'll hold myself to more professional standards when I've got a much better chance of being a professional.

No comments: